Monday, March 19, 2012

13 Goddesses Week #3 - Japanese: Amaterasu

Japanese Goddess: Amaterasu
Amaterasu is the Japanese Sun and Universe Goddess. Her name means "Shining in Heaven". It is said that the Japanese Emperor is a direct descendand of Amaterasu.
She was born from the left eye of her father, Izanagi-no-Mikoto, and she became the Goddess of the Sun and Heavens along with her brother/husband Tsukuyomy, God of the Moon and the Night.
One day Susanowa, her other borther and God of Storms, jealous of Amaterasu's power, killed a horse (sacred to the Goddess). Amaterasu, depressed, hid in a cave and refused to go back to her place in Heaven. For this reason there was no more Sun and and the world was left in darkness and hunger. Finally, Uzume, the Goddess of Mirth, started a dance with all the Gods in front of the cave. Amaterasu become curious of all that laughter and music and left the cave. The other Gods then captured her and sealed the entrance. The Goddess was caught in all the happiness that surrounded her that she went back to the Heavens and the Sun started to shine over the world again.
 Don't forget to link your Goddess. You have time until Sunday 25th. For the rules click the 13 Goddesses banner.

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely Goddess she is too :D Fabulous earrings and wonderful story :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did Amaterasu too ;o) You have to stop copying me! LOL! Your Goddess is very cool!! I like her a lot! Well done ;o) Happy Spring my friend ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving seeing these goddesses popping up (I just came from Stacy's) if I was more organised I would have joined in, your artwork looks wonderful - congrats in getting people inspired it's a great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your goddess is gorgeous! Love her eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is lovely and her story is perfect for the spring. I love the colors of her dress, for they, too, look like the beginnings of spring. You know, that soft green of young grass? Her eyes, too.

    On a different note, I'm sure you've noticed I haven't posted my week #3 goddess. I'm sooo busy with school and other things *sigh* I will be on a partial 13 Goddess in 13 Weeks hiatus for the next few weeks. But sometime in April, the 17th I think, I'll post a parade of all the goddesses I've missed.

    In the meantime, I'll continue enjoying everybody else's colors ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is beautiful! I love her eyes, the way her hands are comfortably tucked in her sleeves and the dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete